- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes (1 sliced, 1 chopped)
Make the bacon marmalade: Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until almost crisp, 5 minutes. Pour out half of the drippings, add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the onion browns, 10 more minutes (add a splash of water if the onion sticks). Stir in the hot sauce, sugar, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
Form the pork into four 4-inch-wide patties; season with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the patties and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, topping each with a slice of cheese about 3 minutes before they're done.
Drizzle the remaining lettuce and the chopped tomato with olive oil and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper; toss. Serve with the burgers.
Per serving: Calories 695; Fat 44 g (Saturated 17 g); Cholesterol 140 mg; Sodium 565 mg; Carbohydrate 31 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 43 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani