Pork Fried Rice
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 25 min
- 10 min
- Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 2 -inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 1 bunch scallions (white and green parts kept separate), thinly sliced
- 1 heaping cup frozen corn, peas, or carrots, or a mix
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot Madras curry powder
- 4 cups cold cooked jasmine rice
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, then add the ham or other meats. Season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes.
2. While the ham browns, finely chop the garlic and ginger together in a mini-chopper. Add the mixture to the ham, along with the scallion whites, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the frozen vegetables, season with salt and pepper to taste and stir-fry until vegetables are heated but still crisp, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl.
3. Return the skillet to the heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add eggs and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are set but still tender. Tip eggs out of the pan into the bowl with the ham mixture and break eggs up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
4. Return the skillet to the heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the curry powder. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rice to the pan, breaking up any clumps, and stir-fry until coated evenly with the oil. Cook the rice undisturbed until the bottom is slightly crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir scallion greens into the rice. Add rice to the serving bowl, stir to distribute the ingredients evenly, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Total Fat: 15 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 27 grams
Protein: 13 grams
Sodium: 600 milligrams
Cholesterol: 133 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved