We serve these sweet and spicy Southwestern-inspired waffles with an orange-and cayenne-infused maple syrup for a citrus kick.
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Large pinch fine salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing waffle iron
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
- Soft unsalted butter for serving, optional
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Special equipment: waffle iron (preferably Belgian style)
For the syrup: Whisk together the maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and cayenne in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and whisk until the cinnamon is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the orange zest. Cover and keep warm.
For the waffles: Preheat a waffle maker to medium-high. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, chipotle powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, oil, sugar, egg and white. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and gently stir until just incorporated (it's ok if there are lumps).
Lightly brush the top and bottom of the waffle iron with oil. Fill each section about three-quarters of the way full (there should still be some waffle iron showing). Close and cook until the waffles are golden brown and slightly crisp, 6 to 10 minutes. Keep the waffles warm in the oven or covered with foil on a plate while you cook the remaining batter.
Serve the waffles with butter, drizzle with the orange syrup and sprinkle with the pepitas.
Cook's Note: The waffles can be frozen in resealable plastic bags for up to 1 month. Reheat in a toaster oven or 300 degree F oven until warmed through and crisp.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved