- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter (1/2 stick), diced
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ice water, plus more as needed
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Serving suggestion: Wedges of apples, oranges, and pears, and a few cranberries
To make the crust: In a food processor, pulse the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add the butter and pulse the mixture until it resembles cornmeal mixed with pea-sized bits of butter, about 10 times. Add the egg white, vinegar, and water, and pulse 1 or 2 times; don't let the dough form into a ball in the machine. (If the dough is very dry add a couple of teaspoons of cold water.) Remove the bowl from the machine, remove the blade, and bring the dough together by hand. Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Lightly spray a 9-inch pie pan with oil. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a thin disk, about 13 inches in diameter. Transfer the dough to the prepared pie pan and trim the edges, leaving about one inch hanging over the edge. Tuck the overhanging dough underneath itself to form an edge even with the rim. Flute the edge as desired. Freeze the crust for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line the crust with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake on the center rack until firm and just cooked, about 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Lift the foil to remove the beans, return to the oven, and bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the filling. In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar, eggs, orange zest, and rum. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Sift the dry ingredients over the pumpkin mixture and whisk until thoroughly blended.
Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake until the filling is just set but not cracked, about 1 hour. Cool on a rack, serve warm or at room temperature.
Slim down tips
- Spray the pie tin with vegetable cooking spray to assure easy serving
- Top with 2 tablespoons of fat free frozen vanilla yogurt for an additional 23 calories
- This is a large serving (for comparison sake) - cut pie into 10 or 12 pieces instead of 8
Copyright 2002 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Per Serving: Calories: 265; Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Protein: 8 grams; Total carbohydrates: 41 grams; Sugar: 23 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 70 milligrams; Sodium: 242 milligrams