- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup melted shortening (transfat-free)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 crisp apples, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- Special equipment: standard 4 x 4-inch waffle iron
Whisk the flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, spice and salt together in a large bowl.
Beat together the milk, pumpkin, melted butter, and melted shortening, egg and egg white, in a large measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk together to make a slightly lumpy batter.
Pour and spread about 1 cup batter into the waffle iron. Cover and cook until crisp and a rich golden brown, about 7 minutes. (Try to resist the temptation to open the waffle iron too soon. Steam will puff out of the iron while the waffles cook, when this stops the waffle is cooked.) Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot with the apples.
Copyright 2007 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved