Quick Barbeque Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, like soy, corn or peanut
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes (with puree), pureed in a blender
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute more.
Add the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until deep red in color and reduced to about 4 cups, about 25 minutes. Season with pepper to taste. Use now, or store, covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.