Our chopped challenge this week was piquillo peppers. We wanted to make the peppers the star, instead of into a sauce or salsa, and so we stuffed them with goat cheese, raisins, and quinoa. Chopped Basket Ingredient: Piquillo Peppers
- 1 small zucchini, chopped (about 5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and finely ground black pepper
Quinoa and Goat Cheese Piquillo Peppers:
- 1 cup quinoa
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- One 14-ounce jar piquillo peppers, rinsed and drained
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the zucchini salsa: Puree the zucchini, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender.
For the quinoa and goat cheese piquillo peppers: Bring the quinoa, 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and toss with the olive oil. Let cool about 10 minutes.
Fold in the goat cheese and raisins. Stuff the quinoa filling into the piquillo peppers and place them in a 2-quart baking dish and cover with foil. Heat the peppers until the filling is hot throughout, about 20 minutes.
Serve the peppers with the zucchini salsa.