- One 15 1/2-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 to 1 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) (optional)
Reserve about a third of the beans. Mash the rest of the beans in a medium bowl with a large fork. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Add the spices and cook until fragrant about 1 minute.
Add the mashed beans and half the broth; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved beans and the enough of the remaining broth to loosen up the beans. Simmer until the beans are thick but not pasty, about 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the fresh coriander, if desired, and serve.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved