- 8 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 limes (1 zested, both juiced)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 1/2 cups mixed chopped herbs, such as cilantro, basil and mint
- 1 cup bean sprouts
Cook the rice noodles as the label directs; drain and rinse under cold water to cool, then snip into smaller pieces with kitchen shears.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: Whisk 1/4 cup fish sauce, the juice of 1 lime, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, the jalapeno, sugar, half of the garlic and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl; set aside.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Combine the zest and juice of the remaining lime and the remaining garlic, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 2 teaspoons fish sauce in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Grill the shrimp until lightly charred and opaque, about 2 minutes per side.
Toss the noodles, romaine, carrots, herbs and bean sprouts in a large bowl. Gradually add enough of the dressing to coat; toss. Divide among bowls and top with the shrimp. Drizzle with the dressing.
Per serving: Calories 475; Fat 13 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 172 mg; Sodium 1,938 mg; Carbohydrate 60 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Johnny Miller