- 2 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 2-to-3-inch piece parmesan rind
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or thyme
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping (optional) 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
Bring the chicken broth, 3 1/2 cups water and the cheese rind to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 minutes; discard the rind. Keep warm.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup warm broth and stir constantly until absorbed. Repeat, adding the broth in 1/2-cup increments and stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is just tender and creamy, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the peas and stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Combine the parsley, chives and marjoram in a bowl. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the herbs to the risotto along with the grated parmesan and yogurt; stir vigorously until creamy, about 1 minute. Divide the risotto among bowls. Top with the reserved herbs and more parmesan.
Per serving: Calories 263; Fat 9 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 33 mg; Sodium 308 mg; Carbohydrate 27 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 11 g
Photograph by Con Poulos