- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons harissa or other hot chile paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 head escarole, torn into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces deli-sliced roast beef, cut into bite-size pieces
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the carrots and onion on a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Roast until tender and slightly golden, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the couscous as the label directs, adding the raisins in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain the couscous and raisins and rinse under cold water.
Put the escarole in a large bowl and add the roasted carrots and onion; toss to wilt the greens slightly. Add the couscous-raisin mixture, the dressing and the roast beef and toss to coat. Divide the salad among plates.
Per serving: Calories 504; Fat 15 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 38 mg; Sodium 827 mg; Carbohydrate 70 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos