Roast Chicken and Mushrooms With Red Wine Sauce
- 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (12 to 14 ounces each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound oyster and/or maitake mushrooms, trimmed and torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil, then add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, skin-side up; reserve the skillet.
Toss the mushrooms with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper; scatter around the chicken on the baking sheet. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 160 degrees F, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in the reserved skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, whisking. Add the wine, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt and simmer until the sauce is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Photograph by Anna Williams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.