This wild rice dressing is lighter than a bread-based version and packed with earthy fried fruit. A fruit preserve and cider vinegar glaze on the roast chicken makes the skin extra crispy and flavorful.
- One 5- to 6-pound chicken, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade or apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Wild Rice Dressing:
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing the baking dish
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, such as pitted prunes and apricots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 baguette (4 ounces), preferably day-old or lightly toasted, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 2/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the roast chicken: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pat the chicken dry and place breast-side up in a large roasting pan fitted with a wire rack. Mix together the olive oil, marjoram, smoked paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Gently loosen the skin over the breast of the chicken and rub a little of the mixute under the skin. Rub the remainder of the mixture all over the outside and inside of the chicken. Put the halved onion inside the chicken cavity and tie the legs together with butcher's twine. Tuck the wings underneath the chicken.
Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh not touching bone registers 165 degrees F, or until the juices run clear when the tip of a knife is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, basting the chicken with pan juices a few times during the last hour of roasting.
Mix the marmalade and vinegar together and brush over the chicken. Roast for an additional 5 minutes to set the glaze. Let the chicken rest for 30 minutes.
For the wild rice dressing: While the chicken roasts, make the dressing. Cook the rice according to package directions, drain off any excess water, if necessary, and transfer to a large bowl. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Add the dried fruit, marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Cook until the fruit softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add to the bowl with the wild rice. Add the bread cubes and toss to combine. Add the chicken broth, parsley and 3/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper to taste. Stir until combined.
Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil. Transfer the dressing mixture to the dish and level the top. When the chicken comes out of the oven, put the dressing in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 30 minutes. The dressing should be golden brown and heated through.
Serve the chicken with the dressing on the side.