- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 3-pound boneless center cut pork loin, trimmed and tied
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 4 cups Applesauce or store bought, recipe follows
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork loin with salt and pepper and lie, fat side down, in skillet. Cook until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set it aside.
3. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and herbs to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add wine. Bring to a boil and scrape bits with a wooden spoon from pan bottom. Cook until wine reduces by half. Add broth and bring to a boil.
3. Return loin and drippings to skillet. Transfer to oven and roast to between 145F and 150F, about 40 minutes. Transfer loin to a plate; tent with foil.
4. Strain pan juices (discard solids) into a small saucepan. Boil until reduced by a third. Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in mustard. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep warm but do not boil.
- 2 1/2 pounds tart red skinned apples, such as Macintosh
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Remove apples' stems and coarsely chop with their skin and seeds.
2. Bring all ingredients with 3 tablespoons water in a large saucepan to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are soft, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
3. Pass through a food mill; discard peels and seeds. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Total Fat: 16 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 30 grams
Protein: 33 grams
Sodium: 240 milligrams
Cholesterol: 105 milligrams
Fiber: 4 gram