- 1 8 to 10-pound turkey, neck and giblets removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- Several sprigs of fresh herbs, such as thyme, parsley, rosemary, or sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Adjust a rack to lowest position and remove other racks.
2. Preheat oven to 325degreesF.
3. Pat turkey dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Season inside of breast cavity with salt and pepper and stuff with onion, garlic, herbs, and bay leaves. Set bird on a roasting rack set in a roasting pan, breast side up, and brush with half of butter. Season with salt and pepper. Tent aluminum foil over bird.
4. Roast turkey on lowest oven rack for 2 hours. Remove foil and baste with remaining butter and pan drippings. Increase oven temperature to 425degreesF and continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer, inserted into thigh of bird, registers 170degreesF, about 45 minutes more. Remove turkey from oven and let rest 20 minutes. Remove and discard onion, garlic, herbs, and bay leaves before carving.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Total Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 4 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 0 grams
Protein: 100 grams
Sodium: 297 milligrams
Cholesterol: 265 milligrams
Fiber: 0 grams