Roasted Carrots with Almonds and Olives
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
When you start with fresh baby carrots from the farmer's market, they need little more than a quick toss in salt, pepper, and olive oil[ to bring out their natural sweetness when they're roasted in the oven. This Spanish-inspired version gets salt and crunch from fat Cerignola olives and Marcona almonds. It pairs equally well with fish, turkey, or lamb and complements chardonnay, pinot grigio, merlot, and cabernet alike, making this dish your all-season starter or side.]
- 4 bunches baby carrots, trimmed, scrubbed or peeled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 small shallots, bulbs peeled and halves separated
- 2 large strips orange peel
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Cerignola olives
- 1/3 cup salted Marcona almonds
- Coarse sea salt, such as Maldon
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the carrots, shallots, and orange peel in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until the carrots and shallots are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Smash the olives using the bottom of a heavy skillet and remove the pits.
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved