- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- Zest from 1/4 grapefruit, peeled in large strips, pith removed
- Zest from 1/4 orange, peeled in large strips, pith removed
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger root, smashed
- 1 (3-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 2 to 3 allspice berries
- 2 large red grapefruits
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 tablespoon grenadine or sweet vermouth
- Serving suggestion: 6 almond biscotti
Combine the water, honey, zests, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice berries in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, until cinnamon is unfurled and mixture is aromatic, about 10 minutes. Strain.
Meanwhile, cut peel and white pith off the grapefruits and oranges with a serrated knife. With a sharp paring knife, cut between the membranes, catching any juices in a bowl, to release segments. Add the juices to the honey-spice mixture. Put the fruit segments in a bowl.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.