The caramel notes of the dark rum and the sweetness from the pineapple make this salsa completely addictive.
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 green jalapeno, finely diced (seeded depending on desired spiciness)
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Add the coriander and cumin to a small skillet and heat over medium heat. Swirl until the seeds are golden and slightly fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly, and finely grind in a spice grinder.
Combine the spices with the cilantro, rum, jalapeno, onions, red pepper, pineapple, lime juice and zest in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
For a slightly thicker salsa, remove a heaping 1/2 cup of the finished product and put in a food processor. Pulse until thickened, then stir back into the salsa.