- 6 slices marble rye bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet gherkins and 2 tablespoons juice from the jar, plus 12 whole gherkins
- 1 small head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound deli-sliced roast beef, cut into strips
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced jarlsberg cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Make the croutons: Toss the bread cubes with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until slightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the ketchup, mayonnaise and chopped gherkins and juice in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons water to thin slightly, if desired.
Divide the Boston and iceberg lettuce among bowls and top with the scallions, cucumber, roast beef, cheese, cabbage, croutons and whole gherkins. Drizzle each salad with 1/4 cup dressing. Serve with more dressing on the side.
Per serving: Calories 683; Fat 43 g (Saturated 10 g); Cholesterol 92 mg; Sodium 1,063 mg; Carbohydrate 38 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 38 g