- 4 ripe tomatoes or 4 plum tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 jalapeno (or to taste), minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, recipe follows
Pour the oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot to a depth of about 2 inches. Place a deep-frying thermometer in the pot. Heat the oil over medium heat to 360 degrees F.
Meanwhile, stack the tortillas, and cut the pile into sixths to make chips.
Raise the heat to high. Working in batches, fry the chips, turning them with a skimmer or slotted spoon, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chips to a paper towel-lined pan to drain. (Return the oil to the proper temperature between batches.) Cool and season with salt. Serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, GP. All rights reserved