- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 6-ounce can (3/4 cup) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 bunch kale, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the orange juice concentrate, kale and 3 cups water. Add the tomatoes and break them into chunks with a spoon. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Add the beans and clams. Return to a boil over high heat, cover and cook until the clams open, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and serve with bread.
Photograph by Kana Okada