Sausage and Cornbread Stuffing
- Total Time:
- 3 hr 20 min
- 30 min
- 1 hr
- 1 hr 50 min
- 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 ounces (about 2 links) Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 1 bulb fennel, cored, quartered and sliced crosswise, plus 1/4 cup chopped fronds
- 1 medium Bosc pear, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 recipe Quick and Healthy Cornbread, cooled and coarsely crumbled, recipe follows
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Quick and Healthy Cornbread:
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 (8.5 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add the onion, garlic and sausage. Cook, breaking up the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the celery and fennel; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
Toss the vegetable mixture with the pear, herbs, reserved fennel fronds, walnuts and cornbread; season with salt and pepper. Gently toss the stuffing mixture with 1/2 cup broth to moisten (adding more to moisten if needed); transfer to the prepared baking dish. Lightly mist a piece of foil large enough to cover the dish. Pour 1/2 cup broth over the stuffing and cover with the foil.
Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the stuffing and bake until golden around edges, about 30 minutes more.Quick and Healthy Cornbread:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly mist an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together the egg white, water and buttermilk; stir in the muffin mix and wheat germ until incorporated. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center tests clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Calories 346; Total Fat 14.6g (Sat Fat 3.1g, Mono Fat 5g, Poly Fat 3.6g) ; Protein 13g; Carb 43g; Fiber 6g; Cholesterol 18mg; Sodium 795mg
The healthier cooking choices for this stuffing dish start with a quick cornbread recipe made with wheat germ and egg white. The stuffing features a healthy serving of vegetables, and flavorful turkey sausage.
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali