Full-flavored savory garlic and olives and aromatic basil brighten the crisp asparagus. Cutting the asparagus into short pieces allows them to cook quickly.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces at an angle
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives, slivered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the asparagus, 1/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper and cook, stirring, until the asparagus is bright green and crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the olives, basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss well. Serve.