Sauteed Pork Chops with Apple Chutney
- Apple Chutney:
- 1/4 cup red currant jam
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 red onion, large dice
- 3 soft cooking apples, like a McIntosh, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Oil, as needed
- 4 (1-inch thick) pork rib chops, 9 to 10 ounces each, patted dry or, 8 thin bone-in pork chops, 4 ounces each
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, diced (optional)
- Chutney, for serving
In microwave-safe bowl stir together the jam, vinegar, butter, ginger, salt, curry powder, cinnamon stick, pepper flakes, and onion. Cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave oven on full power for 2 minutes. Carefully remove the cover, add the apples and cranberries, and stir to lightly coat the fruit with the flavorings. Re-cover, and microwave at full power for 10 minutes. Poke holes in the plastic wrapping and set aside for 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
Preheat the oven 350 degrees F.
Heat a large oven-proof skillet over a high heat. Add the oil to the pan and heat until shimmering. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Lay the chops in the pan and sear until golden on 1 side, about 3 minutes. (If pan is too crowded sear the chops in batches, setting the first ones aside on a platter while searing the second batch.) Add the butter along the sides of the pan in small pieces. Sear the fatty side of each chop by holding the chop sideways with tongs, about 1 minute per chop. Turn the chops over and immediately transfer the pan to the oven. Cook the chops until an instant-read thermometer registers 140 degrees, about 10 minutes.
Or for thin pork chops: Place a large oven-proof skillet over a high heat. Add the oil to the pan and heat until shimmering. Season 1 side of the pork chops with salt and pepper. Lay 4 chops in the pan and sear on one side until golden, about 3 minutes. Flatten with a spatula if the edges curl up. Turn the chops over and cook an additional minute.
Set chop aside on a warm plate and repeat with remaining chops.
Transfer chops to a plate or platter and serve with chutney.
Serve 2 thin chops or 1 thick chop per person with the chutney.