Sea Scallops with Zucchini Ribbons and Mint-Chive Oil
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 3 min
- 25 min
- 30 min
- 8 min
- 4 servings
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 1/4 pounds large sea scallops, foot removed if necessary (about 12 to 14)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil, plus additional for brushing
- 1 tablespoon lemoncello (see Cook's Note, right)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, preferably 1 red and 1 yellow
- Freshly ground black pepper
Prepare an outdoor grill with a medium-high fire. If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. (Or you can use wooden toothpicks.)
For the scallops: Slice the zucchini lengthwise on a mandoline into thin slices, about 1/8- inch thick. When you get to the seedy center, rotate the zucchini 1/3 turn and continue to shave slices until you hit seeds. Give the zucchini a final 1/3 turn and shave off the remaining slices. (You want to end up with the same number of zucchini slices as you have scallops.) Discard the seedy center. Wrap a zucchini ribbon around the circumference of each scallop. Thread 2 to 3 scallops per skewer or 1 per toothpick.
Cut up the tomatoes, season them with salt and black pepper to taste, and divide them among 4 plates.
Brush scallops with oil and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Grill, turning to cook both sides, until zucchini and scallops are cooked through and have distinct grill marks, about 8 minutes total. Divide the scallops evenly among the plates, drizzle scallops and tomatoes with the dressing, and serve hot or at room temperature.
Cook's Note: Lemoncello, the highly fragrant liquor from southern Italy, has gained fans stateside recently. Traditionally it is enjoyed as a digestif, or after-dinner drink, but it is delightfully refreshing over ice as a summer cocktail.
From Food Network Kitchens, Get Grilling, Meredith Books, 2005