- 5 tablespoons low fat or regular mayonnaise
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced, white and green parts, separated
- 2 teaspoons finely grated freshly peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lime
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat, drained and picked over for shells
- 8 ounces bay shrimp, deveined and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), plus up to 2 cups for breading
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Sprouts for serving, optional
1. Whisk 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise with the scallion whites, ginger, and soy sauce in large bowl. Finley grate the zest and add the juice from 1/2 the lime and add to the mixture. (Cut remaining lime in wedges and reserve for serving.) Fold the crabmeat, shrimp, and 3 tablespoons of the panko into mixture and season with pepper.
2. Put the remaining panko in a shallow bowl. Divide the crab mixture evenly into 4 patties, about 3 1/2- inches in diameter. Coat each patty all over with the panko, transfer to a plate and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put the wasabi powder in a small bowl, stir in 2 tablespoons water and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons mayonnaise. (This should be the consistency of heavy cream.) Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the crab cakes and cook until light brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve crab cakes on a bed of sprouts if desired, top with scallion greens with wasabi mayonnaise and lime wedges.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Total Fat: 18.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 6 grams
Protein: 25 grams
Sodium: 770 milligrams
Cholesterol: 133 milligrams
Fiber: 0.5 gram