Shrimp and Mango Summer Rolls
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
These sweet, refreshing summer rolls are easy to whip up-a bonus in hot summer weather. Delicate Thai basil leaves give the rolls a fresh[, herbal tang.]
- Spicy Cashew Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Summer Rolls:
- 12 small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (1.76-ounce) package vermicelli noodles (bean thread)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 8 rice spring roll wrappers (banh trang)
- 24 fresh Thai basil leaves or mint leaves
1. For the cashew sauce: Whisk the cashew butter, coconut milk, fish sauce, chili garlic sauce, lime juice, and agave nectar in a bowl with 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Set aside.
2. For the summer roll; In a small pot, bring 4 cups water to a boil and add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 2 minutes. Drain well and let the shrimp cool. Slice the shrimp in half lengthwise.
3. Prepare the vermicelli according to package instructions and splash with mirin. Hold the noodles in the colander to allow the mirin to drain and the vermicelli to cool.
4. Meanwhile, peel, pit, and slice the mango into thin strips and set aside. Next, halve, pit, peel, and slice the avocado into 1/4-inch slices and set aside.
5. Fill a large bowl with warm water. Place a spring roll wrapper in the water and soak until soft, about 2 minutes. Gently transfer the wrapper to a dry board and blot excess water with a paper towel. The paper can rip easily if it soaks too long, so be sure to remove it from the soaking water as soon as it's pliable.
6. Allowing the summer roll ingredients to chill before rolling produces best results. Starting an inch from the bottom of the wrapper, place 3 Thai basil leaves face down in a row. Next, place 3 shrimp face down in a row next to the basil. Continue the pattern and place 2 slices of avocado across the shrimp, then top with some vermicelli, and finish with mango slices. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and roll tightly. Place the rolls on a tray with the Thai basil side up and cover with a damp towel. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve the rolls with the cashew dipping sauce on the side.
Total Fat: 14 grams
Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 49 grams
Protein: 13 grams
Sodium: 276 milligrams
Cholesterol: 23 milligrams
Fiber: 5 grams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.