Shrimp Phad Thai
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 30 min
- 30 min
- 4 ounces medium-thick flat rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten with a pinch salt
- 12 ounces peeled and de-veined medium shrimp
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cubed firm tofu (about 6 ounces)
- 5 scallions (white and green parts), 3 cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 2 chopped
- 11/4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped, plus additional for garnish
- Lime wedges
- Sriracha sauce
1. Place noodles in a medium bowl, add enough hot water to cover, and soak until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Whisk sugar with fish sauce and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside
Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot and add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. Pour eggs evenly into skillet; cook until set, about 45 seconds. Remove and chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon more peanut oil in skillet over high heat. Add shrimp and season with 1/2 teaspoon of pepper flakes and salt to taste. Stir-fry shrimp until pink and cooked through, about 11/2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
4. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil over high heat. Add garlic, shallots, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add tofu; cook about 2 minutes more. Add noodles, toss to coat, and cook 1 minute. Add fish sauce mixture and large scallion pieces and heat through. Stir in cooked egg and shrimp, 1 cup of sprouts, and 13 cup peanuts; toss until hot. Divide Phad Thai among plates and top with remaining 14 cup sprouts, additional peanuts, and chopped scallions. Serve immediately with lime wedges and Sriracha.
Total Fat: 20 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 27 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Sodium: 1074 milligrams
Cholesterol: 157 milligrams
Fiber: 1.5 grams