- 1 cup quartered vine-ripened grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside while you saute the shrimp.
Divide the shrimp between two 8-or 9-inch pie pans and pat them completely dry with a paper towel. Arrange the shrimp so they lay flat and are evenly spaced in the pans.
Heat 2 large skillets over medium heat. Season one side of the shrimp with salt and pepper; add a teaspoon of oil to each pan and turn the heat to high. Invert a pie pan over a skillet so the shrimp fall into the pan all at once. Repeat with the other shrimp.
Saute the shrimp, undisturbed, until they turn golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Add a remaining teaspoon oil and half the garlic to each pan. Turn the heat off and turn the shrimp over with tongs. Cook for 1 minute in the residual heat of the pans. Transfer the shrimp to the bowl with the tomato mixture and toss to combine. Divide the shrimp among 4 plates or a serving platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.