Skillet Beef Pie
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 14 1/2 -ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 piece refrigerated pie dough (half of a 14-ounce package)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Heat the vegetable oil in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are lightly browned and just tender, about 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cumin and cinnamon and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the beef to the other side; season the beef with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring the ingredients together, until the beef is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in the raisins and olives and remove from the heat.
Unroll the pie crust and center it over the filling; press the edge against the inside of the skillet using a fork. Transfer to the oven and bake until the crust is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 610; Fat 35 g (Saturated 12 g); Cholesterol 79 mg; Sodium 891 mg; Carbohydrate 52 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 24 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.