This easy one-pan meal is full of flavor, but kept light with lean ground beef, hearty mushrooms and calcium and fiber enriched pasta. A touch of paprika gives a rosy color to the lightly creamy sauce made with reduced fat sour cream and 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 pound 90 percent lean ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package white mushrooms, halved or quartered, if large
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice, 1 cup
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups (6-ounces) calcium and fiber enriched penne pasta, (recommended: Ronzoni Smart Taste)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, season to taste with salt and pepper and cook, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the meat to a bowl, leaving behind any drippings; reduce the heat to medium.
To the same skillet, add the mushrooms, season with salt and cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cooked mushrooms to the bowl with the beef. Add the oil, onion, carrot, garlic, and paprika to the skillet and continue to cook until the carrots are soft and the onion is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste has toasted and is evenly coating the vegetables, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broth, water, and the Worcestershire sauce to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and stir in the pasta. Cover and cook according to package directions until the noodles are just al dente. Uncover, stir in the reserved beef and mushrooms until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese, sour cream, chopped parsley, chopped chives, and salt and pepper, to taste, until the cream cheese melts and the sauce is creamy. Divide among 6 bowls. Serve.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritional analysis per serving (using numbers from box of Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta)
Calories 322; Total Fat 14g (Sat Fat 4.3g, Mono Fat 5.2g, Poly Fat 0.7g) ; Protein 22g; Carb 29g; Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 54mg; Sodium 234mg