- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 4-to-5-pound bone-in picnic ham
- 1 pound dried butter beans or lima beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 28-ounce can whole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
Combine the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes and paprika in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Add the ham, beans, bay leaf and thyme. Pour in 4 cups water; cover and cook on low, undisturbed, 8 hours.
Pour the tomatoes into a bowl and crush them with your hands. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the scallions and garlic to the slow cooker. Cover and cook 30 more minutes.
Remove the ham from the slow cooker and transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly before slicing. Set aside about one-third of the ham and 3 cups of the stewed bean mixture to make Ham Jambalaya. Serve the remaining ham with the bean mixture.
Turn leftovers into Ham Jambalaya
Per serving: Calories 750; Fat 22 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 201 mg; Sodium 640 mg; Carbohydrate 59 g; Fiber 17 g; Protein 77 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos