- 12 English-cut short ribs (about 6 pounds)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Korean red chili paste or sambal oelek, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons dark (toasted) sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions (white and green parts, separated), thinly sliced
Noodles and Garnishes:
- 10 to 12 ounces medium-thick rice noodles (also called rice sticks or jantaboon)
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 small Kirby cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, torn
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Whisk together the broth, soy, sugar, ginger, chili paste, sesame oil, garlic, and scallion whites. Pour over the ribs. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours.
About 30 minutes before serving, put the rice noodles in a bowl with hot water to cover. Soak until tender and pliable, about 30 minutes.
Skim any fat that may collect on top of the beef broth and discard.
Divide the noodles among 6 large shallow bowls and ladle the broth over top. (Cut the meat from the ribs if desired.) Divide the meat evenly among the bowls. Garnish as desired with the carrots, cucumber, cilantro, lime and the remaining green parts of the scallion and more chili paste, if desired.
Copyright (c) 2007 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved