- 1 1/4 pounds boneless beef chuck (in one piece)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 medium leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Horseradish, for serving (optional)
Combine the beef, barley, mushrooms, celery, carrots, leeks, thyme, beef broth and soy sauce in a slow cooker. Add 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook on low, undisturbed, 8 hours.
Uncover and skim off any excess fat. Transfer the beef to a cutting board, let cool slightly and slice or shred by hand into bite-size pieces. Thin the vegetable-barley mixture in the slow cooker with some water, if desired. Divide among shallow bowls and top with the beef. Serve with horseradish, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 647; Fat 29 g (Saturated 11 g); Cholesterol 96 mg; Sodium 897 mg; Carbohydrate 57 g; Fiber 12 g; Protein 40 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos