Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchens
This chili is super quick and delicious. The cinnamon and molasses add a touch of earthiness and round out the flavors.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean ground chicken
- Kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground clove
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- One 15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans
- One 15-ounce can no-salt-added cannellini beans
- One 28-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomato
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sliced scallions, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Reduced fat sour cream, for garnish, optional
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add half of the ground chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cook, breaking the meat apart with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker insert. Repeat with the remaining chicken using another 1 teaspoon of oil and another 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Turn the heat down to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Add the garlic and onions, stirring and scraping up any browned bits in the pan, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and clove, and stir constantly for 1 minute to cook the spices. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan. Transfer to the slow cooker, along with the pinto and cannellini beans and their bean liquid, the diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, chipotle, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons salt and some black pepper. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 hours.
Per serving (about 1 1/4 cups): Calories 320; Fat 12 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 100 mg; Sodium 970 mg; Carbohydrate 27 g; Protein 27 g; Fiber 8 g; Sugars 6 g
Thank you! your flag was submitted.