- One 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound red skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, skin removed and discarded (about 8 thighs)
- One 5-ounce package baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Serving suggestions: pita or naan bread, chutney and/or Greek yogurt
Combine the tomatoes with their juices, 2 tablespoons vinegar, flour, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon garam masala, ginger, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in the carafe of a blender or in a food processor. Puree until well blended and only slightly chunky. Set aside.
Spread the potatoes in the bottom of a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and lay over the potatoes in a single layer. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
Uncover the slow cooker and stir in the baby spinach until wilted, about 1 minute. Let the curry stand, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken a bit. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar and chopped cilantro and season with additional salt and pepper. Serve with additional cilantro for garnish, with bread on the side for scooping up the sauce, chutney and/or Greek yogurt.
Per serving (not including serving suggestions): Calories: 403; Total Fat 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 49 grams; Total carbohydrates: 30 grams; Sugar: 5 grams Fiber: 5 grams; Cholesterol: 188 milligrams; Sodium: 677 milligrams
Cook's Note: Garam masala is an Indian spice blend available in many variations. Many grocery stores have it in their spice aisle, but if yours doesn't you can order it online or find it in a specialty market.
- Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.