Rice's natural starch (helped along with a bit of coconut milk) turns into creamy, surprisingly light rice pudding with sweet floral flavor from coconut water. Set out a toppings bar of dried fruits, toasted nuts, shredded coconut and seeds and let everyone personalize their own bowl.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups coconut water
- One 13.5-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups short grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Suggested toppings: diced fresh or dried mango and pineapple, fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries, toasted shaved coconut chips, chopped crystallized ginger
Mist a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the coconut water, coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, vanilla and salt in the bowl of the slow cooker until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the rice and cook on high 4 hours or low for 5 to 6 hours.
Uncover, stir well and let stand 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the butter. Continue to cool, stirring, until warm. Stir in the lime zest. Serve warm or chill until cold. Top as desired.
Cook's Note: To cool your rice pudding faster, spread the pudding on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the refrigerator until cool, about 10 minutes.
Calories: 150; Total Fat 4 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 2 grams; Total carbohydrates: 27 grams; Sugar: 10 grams Fiber: 1.5 grams; Cholesterol: 5 milligrams; Sodium: 146 milligrams
- Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.