- 2 Granny Smith apples, diced (with skin)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 8 large sprigs parsley
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 4-to-5-pound smoked picnic ham (pork shoulder)
- 1 pound medium turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups dry white wine
1 pound frozen chopped winter greens (such as turnip greens, kale or spinach), thawed
Put the apples, garlic, thyme, parsley, pickling spice and brown sugar in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Add the ham and surround it with the turnips. Pour in the wine and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low, 7 hours.
Remove the ham from the slow cooker. Add the greens to the cooker and stir to combine with the liquid. Return the ham to the cooker, cover and cook on high 30 minutes.
Slice the ham and serve with the turnips, apples and greens.
Per serving: Calories 657; Fat 20 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 185 mg; Sodium 315 mg; Carbohydrate 38 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 59 g
Click here to enter title
- If you don't have pickling spice, add a bay leaf, a few peppercorns and a pinch each of coriander and celery seeds, pepper flakes and thyme.