- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (with seeds)
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak or flank steak
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- Cooked white rice, for serving
Combine the tomatoes, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, cumin, jalapeno and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Add the steak, bell peppers and onion and toss to coat. Cover and cook on low, undisturbed, 8 hours.
Uncover and skim off any excess fat. Coarsely shred the meat with 2 forks, then stir in the olives and olive brine. Serve over rice.
Per serving: Calories 464; Fat 16 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 83 mg; Sodium 837 mg; Carbohydrate 39 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos