- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (white and light green parts only)
- 3/4 cup dried yellow or red lentils
- 1 4-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Combine the sweet potato, carrots, celery, leeks, lentils, ginger, 3/4 teaspoon curry powder and 1 teaspoon salt in a 4-to-6-quart slow cooker. Add 6 cups water and stir, then cover and cook on low, undisturbed, 8 hours.
Stir the soup vigorously with a whisk to make a rough puree. Thin with hot water, if desired.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon curry powder and cook until the curry powder is slightly toasted, about 1 minute. Stir the curry mixture into the soup and add the lemon juice, cilantro, and salt to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: Calories 257; Fat 4 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 8 mg; Sodium 580 mg; Carbohydrate 45 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 12 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos