Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens
Cocoa powder may seem a bit out of place in chili, but it has two jobs in this mole-inspired version: It adds depth of flavor and helps[ thicken the sauce. We suggest serving the chili with tortilla chips, but it would also be great with cornbread.]
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound ground turkey (preferably dark meat)
- Kosher salt
- One 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more for thinning the chili if needed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Two 15-ounce cans pinto beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups crushed corn tortilla chips, plus whole for serving
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sliced scallions, shredded Cheddar, sour cream and chopped pickled jalapeno, for serving
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and cayenne and cook, stirring, until the oil is brick-red and the mixture is dry, about 2 minutes. Add the ground turkey and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring and breaking up into smaller pieces, until the mixture is combined (the turkey doesn't need to be cooked all the way through at this point). Transfer the mixture to the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, cocoa powder, vinegar, oregano and 1 teaspoon salt to the skillet over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, whisking. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato mixture, beans, onions, crushed tortilla chips and garlic to the insert and give the mixture a good stir. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Add chicken broth to thin the chili, if necessary. Season with salt. Serve with scallions, Cheddar, sour cream, pickled jalapeno and tortilla chips.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Thank you! your flag was submitted.