Slow-Cooker Whole-Grain Breakfast Porridge
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
This whole-grain porridge is a healthy way to start the day. Dehulled or hulless barley is unprocessed and takes longer to cook than the[ quicker pearled barley; use either for this recipe (servings of fiber will differ).]
- 3/4 cup dehulled whole barley
- 3/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (not coarsely ground)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Kosher salt
- Topping suggestions: milk, chopped dried fruit, fresh fruit or nuts
Combine 4 1/2 cups water, barley, oats, cornmeal, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon stick and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a slow cooker and cover and let sit overnight, at least 8 hours.
In the morning, set the slow cooker to high and cook until the grains are tender, about 2 hours, stirring once halfway through. Ladle the porridge into serving bowls and add your favorite toppings, such as milk, dried fruit, fresh fruit or nuts.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen