- 1 large pink or red grapefruit
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 2 heads endive, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound smoked trout, skin discarded and fish flaked
Grate 1/4 teaspoon zest from the grapefruit and set aside. Trim the ends from the grapefruit, then cut away the peel and white pith. Working over a bowl, cut along both sides of each membrane with a paring knife to remove the segments. Discard any seeds. Cut the grapefruit segments into pieces. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl.
Make the dressing: Whisk the sour cream, 2 tablespoons of the grapefruit juice, the grapefruit zest, scallions, 2 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl.
Toss the watercress, endive, lettuce, celery and onion in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among shallow bowls. Top with the reserved grapefruit segments and the smoked trout.
Per serving: Calories 225; Fat 9 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 101 mg; Sodium 309 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 20 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos