- 1 large pink or red grapefruit
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 2 heads endive, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound smoked trout, skin discarded and fish flaked
Grate 1/4 teaspoon zest from the grapefruit and set aside. Trim the ends from the grapefruit, then cut away the peel and white pith. Working over a bowl, cut along both sides of each membrane with a paring knife to remove the segments. Discard any seeds. Cut the grapefruit segments into pieces. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl.
Toss the watercress, endive, lettuce, celery and onion in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among shallow bowls. Top with the reserved grapefruit segments and the smoked trout.
Per serving: Calories 225; Fat 9 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 101 mg; Sodium 309 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 20 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos