Smoked Turkey And Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 10 -ounce box frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup sliced bread-and-butter pickles, plus 4 tablespoons pickling liquid
- 8 ounces smoked turkey leg or breast, skin removed and meat shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 10 cups torn arugula, escarole and/or romaine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (with leaves)
Combine the garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas and 2 tablespoons pickling liquid and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the turkey and heat through, about 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add the scallions, and salt and cayenne to taste. Discard the thyme.
Meanwhile, whisk the mustard and the remaining 2 tablespoons pickling liquid in a large bowl. Add salt and cayenne to taste, then gradually whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the tomatoes and toss. Add the arugula, celery and pickles and toss again. Divide among bowls and top with the black-eyed peas and turkey.
Per serving: Calories 318; Fat 18 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 43 mg; Sodium 1,047 mg; Carbohydrate 18 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 23 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.