- 1/4 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 whole smoked whitefish (about 2 pounds) (see note)
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Meanwhile, using a small knife and your hands, remove the skin, bones, and any brown bits from the whitefish and discard. Flake the whitefish into small pieces into a medium bowl, checking again for any bones.
Add the egg and onion to the whitefish and mash together with a fork. Stir in the mayonnaise and lemon juice. (For a smoother textured salad, pulse the whitefish mixture in a food processor.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Cook's Note: If you're buying cleaned whitefish, you'll need 3 1/3 cups.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved