- 8 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 10 ounces Italian fontina cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1-pound loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 4 cups chopped greens, such as kale, spinach or arugula
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the tomatoes with the thyme, olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper in a bowl. Spread on a baking sheet and roast, stirring once or twice, until the tomatoes are slightly dried and browned in spots, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes. Cool completely.
Whisk the milk, eggs, fontina, 3/4 cup parmesan, the cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and greens and toss to coat. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish, then top with the roasted tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle the strata with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan and bake, uncovered, until golden brown and almost set, about 45 minutes. Turn off the oven, but keep the strata inside 10 minutes before serving.
Photograph by Tina Rupp