Our chopped challenge this week was chorizo. We decided to give the basic sloppy joe a Mexican spin using chorizo instead of ground beef, but keep the sloppiness that everyone loves. Chopped Basket Ingredient: chorizo
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes or one 16 ounce can of tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh Mexican chorizo
- 1/2 cup Mexican beer
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 sandwich rolls
- Sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro for serving
Puree the tomatoes in a blender until smooth.
Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat until melted and bubbling then stir in the onion, pepper, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add chorizo, stirring to break up lumps, and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the pureed tomatoes, beer, jalapenos, Worcestershire, and sugar, and boil until the sauce has thickened, 14 to 18 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt. Serve with sour cream and cilantro on rolls.