- Kosher salt
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces spaghettini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Grated parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the mixture is brick red, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and add to the skillet along with the butter and herbs. Cook, tossing, until the pasta absorbs some of the sauce, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed. Divide among bowls and top with cheese.
Per serving: Calories 716; Fat 38 g (Saturated 14 g); Cholesterol 61 mg; Sodium 1,156 mg; Carbohydrate 73 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 23 g
Photograph by Andrew Purcell