Spiced Butternut Squash Stew with Couscous
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 6 canned plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth, low-sodium canned
- 1 -inch strip lemon zest
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 4 cups chopped spinach (about 5 ounces)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium canned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup couscous
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, and spices and cook until the cinnamon stick unfurls and the tomatoes are cooked down, about 3 minutes. Add the squash, chickpeas, broth, lemon zest, and raisins and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until the squash is fork tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season, to taste.
Meanwhile, make the couscous. Bring the broth to a boil with the salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Stir in the couscous, pull the saucepan off the heat, cover, and set aside until the water has been absorbed and the couscous is plump, about 5 minutes.
Fluff the couscous with a fork and mound it in 4 soup bowls. Spoon some butternut squash stew over each portion, top with almonds, and serve.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Squash-tastic Shepherd's Pie, Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Amaretti Cookies, Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paneer (Indian Cheese) Croutons and Turmeric Oil, Teriyaki Chicken Recipes, Roasted Beet Recipes, Chicken, Chicken Piccata Recipes, Spinach Recipes, Couscous Salad Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.