- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole wheat
- 2 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
- Greek yogurt and/or harissa or other hot sauce, for topping
Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the ginger, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the carrots and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid.
Put the couscous and chicken in a medium bowl; pour 1 cup of the hot cooking liquid on top. Stir, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the almonds, raisins, scallions and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until the nuts are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
Divide the couscous and chicken among bowls. Top with the carrots and more of the cooking liquid. Sprinkle with the almond mixture and more cilantro. Top with yogurt and/or harissa.
Per serving: Calories:441 ;Total Fat:20 grams; Saturated Fat:7 grams; Protein: 28 grams; Total carbohydrates: 42 grams; Sugar: 0 grams; Fiber: 8 grams; Cholesterol: 91 milligrams; Sodium: 853 milligrams
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos