- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole wheat
- 2 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
- Greek yogurt and/or harissa or other hot sauce, for topping
Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the ginger, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the carrots and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid.
Put the couscous and chicken in a medium bowl; pour 1 cup of the hot cooking liquid on top. Stir, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the almonds, raisins, scallions and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until the nuts are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
Per serving: Calories:441 ;Total Fat:20 grams; Saturated Fat:7 grams; Protein: 28 grams; Total carbohydrates: 42 grams; Sugar: 0 grams; Fiber: 8 grams; Cholesterol: 91 milligrams; Sodium: 853 milligrams
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos